Feed Your Love
Feb 14, 2020 LifeWear
Celebrate Valentine’s Day with this influencer-approved recipe.
- 500g beef brisket
- 1 large brown onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 sprigs each of rosemary and thyme
- Olive oil, sea salt, and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 bulb of fennel, grated
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 big glass of red wine!
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 300ml (a little over 1 cup) of tomato puree
- Chunk of parmesan
- Thick pasta (Tagliatelle or Pappardelle are best!)
1. Wash produce. Chop onions and garlic. Grate carrot and fennel.
2. Cut beef into cubes, season with salt and pepper and brown in a frying pan with olive oil. Once browned, set aside in a bowl.
3. While your beef is browning, add chopped onions to a pot with lots of olive oil, and carmelize. Keep heat medium to low.
4. Once your onions start to turn golden brown, add in the garlic, carrot, fennel and rip up your herbs and toss it all in. Add in healthy amounts of freshly ground salt and pepper too.
5. Add in the tablespoon of tomato paste and cook for a few minutes, stirring the whole time.
6. Next, add in the red wine, tomato puree, the beef and grate a little parmesan rind over everything. Make sure everything is all mixed in together.
Your kitchen should be smelling amazing by now!
7. Turn the heat down to a medium-low setting, cover with a lid and let it slow cook for 1.5-2 hours until beef is meltingly soft and falling apart. Sit back and relax, eat some cheese and crackers, drink some wine, get started on a movie...whatever date night activities you like.
8. Once you're satisfied with your sauce, serve with fresh pasta and lots of grated parmesan on top. Garnish with some fresh basil if you've got it!
This recipe yields a LOT of sauce and pasta = leftovers for your lunch box the next day.
"The idea for this recipe was sent to us by my best friend in London, food journalist and brilliant cook @breaudreygraham! There's something really rewarding about cooking for someone you love. I especially get a real kick out of setting the table all fancy and making the apartment look all cute and cozy. We usually take turns cooking! Nico often makes me his same favorite Argentinian dishes, but I have a sliiiight addiction to buying cookbooks, so I often like to mix it up and try new things from them" -- Maddison
"NYC is such a busy place to live, and both of our schedules are often conflicting so we have been trying to make sure we have at least one date night a week! We sometimes see a movie or hit up a happy hour and a new restaurant, but honestly, we prefer to stay in and cook for ourselves. In the last few years for Valentine's Day (which is also around Maddi's Birthday) we've gone out to celebrate both, this year we decided to stay at home and cook a meal together." -- Nicolas
Shop their looks:
Maddison is wearing a Viscose Printed Mermaid Long Skirt paired with a 3D Cotton Balloon 3/4 Sleeve Sweater.
Nicolas is wearing a Waffle Crew Neck Long-Sleeve T-Shirt paired with EZY 2-Way Stretch Cotton Ankle-Length Pants.
Maddison Ridley @maddiridley
Maddi Ridley is an Australian actress who has been living in New York City for almost 4 and a half years! Prior to NYC, she also lived in London for four years, and when she wasn't on a stage, she was eating and drinking her way 'round Europe with her best friend Bre. She can be seen in the upcoming series 'Hightown' (Starz) opposite James Badge Dale!
Nico Piccardo @nicopiccardo
Before moving to New York City to start a new and more fulfilling career as an actor, Nico was a lawyer in his hometown, Buenos Aires Argentina. He is passionate about his favorite football team, BOCA Juniors, eating asado's with his friends and family and couldn't be happier living in NYC. He is currently performing in 'Hamlet' at St. Ann's Warehouse.